Thursday, July 26, 2007

Road Rage

Today, like any other day, I drove home from work.

I got off 590 and onto Empire Blvd, when I saw the light, maybe 500 feet ahead, turn red. This is a reasonably long red light, so I lifted my foot off the gas pedal and continued at about 20 miles per hour. The speed limit was like 45, but there was no reason for me to accelerate to that speed, because I would have to hit the brakes at the light anyway, and I would just be wasting gas.

But then someone decided to pass me. This sort of thing happens a lot, actually. I don't understand why anyone would do such a thing, because he still has to stop for the red light. And it's not like the light will turn green any sooner for him. And simply being in front of me doesn't mean that he'll get to his destination much sooner; he'll maybe gain a 20-foot advantage, which at 40 mph is something like a third of a second (1mph = ~.5m/s, so 40 mph = ~ 20m/s = ~60 ft/s...).

Do you ever pass people to beat them to red lights? Quick survey.

2 comments:

Bruce said...

I don't drive, but if i did, then I would prolly pass people just to be like "lol i passed you!"

Hans said...

I pass people subconsciously on 4-lane roads sometimes, but not for the sole purpose of beating them to a red light.